Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Trying Times

My little sister Liz went in for her 20 week checkup to find out the gender of their little baby yesterday. I was at a Neurologist appointment trying to make it quick so I could come with her to see the ultrasound. I didn't end up making it, so I called Liz and I could hear the pain in her voice when she answered. The baby had died.

They had the choice to go start labor now to deliver it or wait till the morning. They of course went straight to the hospital to get ready to deliver the baby. They gave her 2 sets of medication that was supposed to open her enough to deliver the baby. They said she only needed to be dilated to a 3 or 4 before the baby could come out. I stayed until 10:30ish and they had just administered the 2nd dose. I could tell Liz was in quite a bit of pain, but she was being so strong. She told them multiple times that she wouldn't take any pain killers. Then, finially when the pain got too hard to bear (which would have been much much earlier for me, I'm a wimp), and she took some meds, and then finally got an epidural. The baby came about 2 hours after that. Liz felt a lot more peaceful after they got the pain in control. They came and did handprints and footprints of the baby, but could not tell the gender because the baby had decomposed a little. They thought it had died about 2-3 weeks earlier. The umbilicle cord was wrapped around it's neck which most likely was the cause of death. They were able to see their little baby before the hospital took it.

The whole thing was a very learning/emotional/spiritual experience. Zac gave Liz a wonderful blessing, and you just knew this little family was going to be together forever. How lost would we be with out the gospel.

The healing process will still be so hard for them and probably will never go away, but there is so much comfort in our Savior. I feel like they are handling everything so great. And I find a lot of strength in them. I know families are forever, and I know that I will be able to see my little niece or nephew again someday. I am so grateful for the power of the priesthood. I am so grateful for the strength I find in my Savior. It's events like this that make you really step back and realize how blessed we truly are.

1 comments:

McKenzie said...

Em,
That made me tear up. You are such a sweet sister! Give Liz my best. That is never an easy thing to go through. I hope she starts feeling better soon. I'm sure she will with such a great support system!